March 3-9, 2017
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend
The book of Proverbs teaches us that "Better is open rebuke than hidden love" (Proverbs 27:5). What do you think this means? Love and rebuke are being directly compared here, how do those two things go together? Perhaps a little more context will help us understand. The following verse says, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy" (27:6). Does that help to clarify the meaning to you?
The point of the proverb is that if you love someone, you have to love them enough to rebuke them when it is necessary. To deny correction to someone is to have an unloving posture towards them. Knowing what you ought to say to them, and then keeping it a secret, is like hiding your love for them. True Biblical love expects us to help our brothers and sisters, even when that help might be unpleasant correction.
The next proverb is designed to help soften the blow of correction. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend." We shouldn't look at correction as an act of aggression, and we should not assume that when we are corrected someone has become our enemy. Instead, we ought to view it as an act of love. It will hurt us to hear unpleasant things about ourselves to be sure, and the correction we receive may not always be fair or one hundred percent true. But we ought to listen, and we ought to have the humility to learn when we are corrected. Sometimes this correction will be direct, and sometimes we will learn indirectly. Whatever the case, correction is very helpful to us, and it is essential to our growth as Christians.
Proverbs 12:1 teaches us that "he that hates reproof is a fool." Let us strive not to be a foolish people. This week, let us add two things to our prayers. One, pray that we will love others enough to tell them the truth in love. Second, let us pray that we will be able to receive correction as a positive and loving thing so that we might become more Christ like. If we do this, we will have a greater impact for the good on those around us, and we will be a shining light to the community around us.
Your imperfect brother in Christ,
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket on the welcome table.
- Every other chair in the sanctuary is now stocked with visitor cards, offering envelopes, and pens. Kids are welcome to draw on those, if need be, but if they do please don't leave those cards in the chairs. Take them with you or throw them away. Thanks.
- Secret Church will be held here at the church on April 21st from 6:30pm until midnight. Books are $8. There is a sign up sheet on the Welcome Table. You do not want to miss this if you can make it! There will not be childcare provided.
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- 1 nursery worker for Wednesday nights starting in January
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (1 year term)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Tomorrow, March 4th, we will be arranging preschool/children classrooms. If you want to meet for breakfast beforehand, meet at Food Basket at 8:00. Otherwise meet at the church to rearrange rooms at 9:00 am. Thanks!--Regina.
- Family Meeting: Sunday night, March 5th at 6 pm. This will be a potluck meal! Everyone bring your favorite dish and/or dessert. Drinks will be provided by the church.
- Ladies fellowship: March 9th at Angela Bovee's house @ 6:00 pm.
- On Sunday, March 12th from 3:30 to 7:30, come out to the church for an afternoon of games and fellowship! Bring your favorite board games or card games to play. Also, enjoy the new 3-in-one combo pool, air hockey, and ping pong table in the youth room!
That same evening, Snead State Bevill Center is hosting "Explosion 2017," from 6 to 9 pm, featuring Building 429, Josh Wilson, and special guest, Chris August. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door. To buy tickets call 800-965-9324, online at itickets.com, or available at Real Life Pregnancy Centers.
- The hospitality ministry has setup a meal train to continue to provide meals for the Champion family. You can sign up to take a meal at this link: https://mealtrain.com/e7y6lo
March 4 - Rearranging Children's classrooms
March 5 - Family Meeting
March 9 - Ladies Fellowship
March 12 - Church Game Day and Explosion 2017
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Jennifer Rains, Lisa Spence, Chris Knight
3 through 4 year olds - Regina Gregg, Alan Bledsoe
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$2,465.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$34,831.00|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$36,880.96|
|Building Fund this Week:||$50.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$1,420.00|
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
Our mission and passion at New Covenant Baptist Church is to glorify God by becoming a community that fosters the love of God with all of the heart, soul, mind and strength, and by learning to love one another as Christ Jesus has loved us.The answer to every heart's need and the satisfaction of all our longing is found in Jesus Christ our Lord, who is Himself the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.