August 3-10, 2017
Dogs are Dumb Sometimes, but so are We
If you ever want a lesson in how patient, kind, long-suffering, and fickle you are, you should probably get a puppy. They look so cute when they are little, and you will love them with tremendous affection. This lasts for about 6 weeks. I'm sorry to say that puppies grow very fast, they poop on pee everywhere, and they will chew up anything, including your wooden porch. I have read before that the average dog is re-homed after about six months.
I have a dog, and she is super cute. I have also wanted to strangle her lately. She's gotten curious about the outside world precisely when her underground fence has gone on the fritz. This means that our beloved puppy has twice escaped into the wilds of Albertville, which has meant hours of searching for us and wailing and gnashing of teeth from our children.
After the latest episode of her escape, I exclaimed to Zita in no uncertain terms that the next time she fled, so could just go. "I'm not looking for you again! There will be no reward posters! I will leave you to the coyotes and the mercies of strangers! Next time, I'll let animal control keep you!" She seemed unmoved by these threats, so I tried to reason with her. "Zita, it is dangerous out there. You could easily get run over. You would be less than a snack for a coyote. Why would you leave? We love you. We pet you. We even let you on our couch when we put the blanket down. We feed you and water you. I have spent a lot of money on your underground fence, and I had to bury the thing to boot. Why would you do this?"
As cheesy as it sounds, I was immediately reminded of Israel and her wanderings in the desert. I was reminded of God's threats to them, and His attempts to reason with them. "Why would you leave, Israel? Have I not provided manna every day? Did I not keep your sandals from falling apart or your clothes from wearing out? Did I not drown the Egyptians for you? Did I not deliver you from slavery to bring you into a good and bountiful land?"
I looked at my little dog and thought, "Oh me, you stupid dog. I am just like you. But still, try not to run away again, okay?"
Yours in Christ,
- Children's Ministry:
- Back to school time means we return to our regular Wednesday night classes for kids. Classes start back August 9th at 6:30. Teachers and nursery workers should be here by 6:15.
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (8 weeks a year). Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Sunday School teachers will rotate on the 13th of this month.
- The Ladies Fellowship is hosting a Baby Shower for Leigh Ellen Styke at the church on August 14 at 6:30 pm. Gift ideas: diapers of all sizes, baby wipes, gift cards, etc.
- The Meriliens are hosting their first monthly outreach this Saturday at 4pm at their home. Free hamburgers and hotdogs to be served. Drop by if you are able!
- Sign ups for Community Groups are on the welcome table.
August 9 - Wednesday nights children's classes start back
August 13 - Sunday School Teachers rotate
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for Gloria's husband, Perry Childress. His health has been declining and he is not a Christian. Please pray for the Lord to save Him.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - David Porch, Ellen Sims, Abby Gwaltney
3 through 4 year olds - Jimmy Barnard and Gloria Childress
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$4,724.50|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$124,969.00|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$127,034.42|
|Building Fund this Week:||$290.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$6,440.00|
|Love Offering – Intern:||$875.00|
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study