August 18-24, 2017
There is no such Thing as Cyber Space, Part 2
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote that there is no such thing as cyber space. That is, there is no dimension of reality where you can go in the computer world that doesn't affect real people. I am writing about this a second time because recent events demonstrate how very real the world of social media and the internet is.
I preached about the wickedness of white supremacy last Sunday in response to the Nazi/white supremacy rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. That mess isn't over yet. The white supremacists did not cease to exist when they left that beleaguered city.
How did they organize? How did these fringe people find each other and coordinate to meet in Charlottesville in the first place? They met on the internet. They read each others blog and newsletters. They chatted on Facebook and Twitter. They assumed that the people they were chatting with were real, and that through social media, they could exert influence. ISIS recruits on the internet as well.
I'm not writing this to scare you off of the internet. I'm writing this to tell you it is a tool, neither good or evil. It is a tool that can be wielded by terrorists, or it is a tool than can be wielded by servants of Christ. I am convinced, now more than ever, that we must bring salt and light to others through these mediums.
I'm not exactly sure what that will look like for each of us. Perhaps start by being conscious of what you post, but especially, be conscious of how you respond to the posts of others. Bear the fruits of the Spirit in all your online conversations. Be kind and loving and compassionate and long-suffering and slow to anger. There are people out there, and even in this community, who definitely need it.
I have been active online in the past couple of weeks. Ethan and I got a lot of laughs out of his trombone performance. People appreciated it. I also got a lot of response writing against white supremacy. I think some people learned some things. I feel like this is the least I can do, and I believe strongly that these things actually do make a difference in people's lives.
So pray for me, and pray for our church. Pray that we will use whatever means the Lord gives us to shed gospel light into the darkness that surrounds us. Pray that eyes will be opened to the truth and beauty of the gospel, and that justice will prevail in our country.
Yours in Christ,
- Children's Ministry:
- Back to school time means we return to our regular Wednesday night classes for kids. Classes start back August 9th at 6:30. Teachers and nursery workers should be here by 6:15.
- 1 more person is needed for the nursery rotation during Sunday Service
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (8 weeks a year). Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Sunday School teachers will rotate on the 13th of this month.
- Sign ups for Community Groups are on the welcome table.
September 17 - Family Meeting
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for Gloria's husband, Perry Childress. He is not a Christian. Please pray for the Lord to save Him.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Cindy Ham, Misty Merilien, Steve Hellums
3 through 4 year olds - Haley Coy, Taylor Gwaltney
Last Week’s Statistics:
Budget Needs Weekly:
Budget Receipts YTD:
Budget Needs YTD:
Building Fund this Week:
Building Fund YTD:
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study